So Oppi Koppi is around the corner which means it is time to start preparing for the most epic outdoor music festival that South Africa has to offer. Oppi Koppi is the biggest music festival in the country however there are many other festivals popping up all over the country. If you have never been to a music festival you definitely need to try your best to go to one, it is one of those experiences that you can only fully enjoy while you are young.
For the festival virgins here are a few things that you can expect when attending your first music festival:
- You are going to meet the most diverse, crazy, interesting and completely random bunch of people. When entering through the festival gates you need to leave your inhibitions outside, this way you will gain the most from this experience and be open to meeting people you would not normally meet.
- You will most probably not shower for the duration of the festival. This sounds quite disgusting but when in the festival zone you (for some strange reason) don’t seem to mind at all. There are showers however they are more often more off-putting then the thought of not washing for four days.
- The party does not stop. Day in and day out there are people partying and things to do.
- There is a big possibility that you will get lost, so make sure you do some exploring on your first day and familiarise yourself with landmarks so that you can make your way around in the dark.
- Be ready for the dust (this may just apply to Oppi Koppi), it is VERY dusty so take a bandana with to cover your mouth.
- Again for Oppi – it is stinking hot in the day (so pack shorts, t-shirts and suncream) and then it is FREEZING cold at night (so pack long jons, jackets, boots, beanies, scarves…or just drink yourself a blanket – which is what most people do).
- This will be one of the most fun experiences of your life. However if you hate camping, crowds, drunk people, music and people acting silly then this may not be for you. Stick to the one day music festivals….or just stay at home.
Oppi Koppi is happening 9-11 August 2012. Their website has all the detes 🙂